Welcome to ER 2017 Welcome to Valencia
On behalf of all the Organizing Team, let me welcome you to the 36th Anniversary of International Conference on Conceptual Modeling in Valencia, from 6th to 9th November. ER, an exciting conference, in Valencia, an exciting city. We have worked hard to conform an attractive program, both technically and socially speaking. We are very proud to have the chance of celebrating this 36th anniversary in our Universitat Politècnica de València.
The city of Valencia has many attractions making it one of the best locations for congresses, tourists and trade in Europe. It is the third largest city in Spain with a population of around 1.000.000 inhabitants. It has a modern transport network comprising the Manises International Airport, extensive road, motorway and railway networks, and one of the best ports in Europe, all providing easy access from any part of the globe.
Thanks to its privileged location in the Mediterranean and a dynamic economy and cultural life, Valencia is enjoying growing prominence amongst other large European cities. In a single day, you can discover pretty towns and beautiful natural landscapes within easy reach of Valencia, practice a wide variety of sports, or enjoy the one hundred kilometers of magnificent beaches which stretch from the city itself along the coast. As night falls, the ‘joie de vivre’ of the night life of Valencia has something for everyone, right through til dawn: this is one of the hottest night spots in the Mediterranean.
Welcome to Valencia, welcome to ER, and we hope that you have an exciting experience in our lovely city. We are ready to assist you. Our goal is to make you feel, at the end of this week, that it was a great choice to come!
The city of Valencia has many attractions making it one of the best locations for congresses, tourists and trade in Europe. Valencia is the third largest city in Spain with a population of around 1.000.000 inhabitants.
It has a modern transport network comprising the Manises International Airport, extensive road, motorway and railway networks, and one of the best ports in Europe, all providing easy access from any part of the globe. Thanks to its privileged location in the Mediterranean and a dynamic economy and cultural life, Valencia is enjoying growing prominence amongst other large European cities.
In a single day, you can discover pretty towns and beautiful natural landscapes within easy reach of Valencia, practice a wide variety of sports, or enjoy the one hundred kilometres of magnificent beaches which stretch from the city itself along the coast. As night falls, Valencia has something for everyone, right through till dawn: this is one of the hottest night spots in the Mediterranean.
How to arrive
ER 2017 is held at the third floor (terrace) of the Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación (CPI) at the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (UPV). To access the conference area you must go to the entrance labeled with the four number and get the elevator (or the stairs) to the third floor (terrace). From there the main reception desk is located in the Hall J of the Red Cube.
HOW TO REACH THE CONFERENCE BUILDING:
You can choose several options to arrive to the conference building. By taxi from any city area: 8 Euros (approx.). Specify as destination: Street “Ingeniero Fausto Elio”, “Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación (CPI)”. By bike: There is a service to use public bikes throughout the whole city. This service is called Valenbisi. By car: Street “Ingeniero Fausto Elio”.
From the city center, the best way to arrive to the conference building is using the underground, which will have to be combined with the tram. Now we describe the steps to reach te conference building:
- Take the undeground in Xàtiva or Colón stations (line 3 or 9 with destination to Rafaelbunyol, Alboraya-peris Aragó or Machado).
- Get off the undeground in the “Benimaclet” station
- Leave the undeground and take the tram destination Serrería, Dr.Lluch or Marítim-Serrería
- Get off the tram at “Serrería” Station
You must buy the underground/tram tickets in a machine. The first time you buy a trip (single trip or 10 trips), the machine gives you a cardboard ticket. Each cardboard ticket costs 1€. Once you finish the trip, you can recharge the ticket as many times as you need using the same machines you used to buy the ticket. It is possible to change the type of the ticket so if you buy a ticket for one way, after using it you van change it to a ticket of 10 trips or any other kind of ticket. Note that the ticket used to leave the airport (Zone D) must not be used in the city center (Zone A). See map of zones for more details.
Please, before taking the tram, you must validate your ticket in the machine you can find at the tram station. To validate the ticket you must approach the ticket to the validation machine (a red circle). This will show how many trips your ticket remains in a small display. Please, do not validate the ticket again if you come from the underground in the same trip. Changes between undergrounds or between underground and tram are the same trip.
Arriving at the airport:
You can reach the city center from the airport (8 Km) by:
For more information you can check the following links:
The General Secretariat of the congress offers the participant’s rooms at special prices during the period of 4-12 November 2017. Participants are advised to book rooms as early as possible, since rooms will be reserved on a first come/first served basis. All prices include breakfast and VAT.
The reservations will be confirmed upon reception of the total stay payment. No reservation will be guaranteed and processed without the payment. You will receive confirmation of the hotel booking indicating the name of the hotel and its address; the confirmation letter must be presented upon arrival at the hotel.
- 100% payment in advance will be required in order to guarantee the reservation.
- After November 1st 2017 the availability cannot be guaranteed.
- Previous days or late departure reservations are subject to hotel availability.
- Special needs cannot be guaranteed, however Grupo Pacifico will do their best to honour all requests.
- A confirmation letter will be sent once reservation is confirmed
On line hotel accomodation form NH Ciudad de Valencia ***
RATES PER NIGHT, BREAKFAST AND VAT INCLUDED
You can book the recomended ER2017 hotel on the following link: HERE
Hotel Cancellation Policy:
- Cancellations and/or changes should be made in writing exclusively to Grupo Pacifico.
- No shows will be released automatically by the hotel at 09.00 AM on the following day, and the full payment will not be refundable. The hotel is enabled to charge the total amount of the whole stay.
- Please note that all appropriate refunds will be made after the Conference
- For the cancellations received before June 1st, 2017, there will be no cancellation charges less 30,00 € per room cancelled as handling fee.
- Cancellations received between June 2nd, 2017 and July 30th, 2017 will apply a cancellation fee of 1 night.
- Any cancellation received after August 1st, 2017 will apply a cancellation fee of 100% of the total of the stay.
If you prefer to book another hotel, there are many accommodation options in Valencia to choose from. Here we suggest you the most attractive areas, touristic and culturally speaking, where you may be interested in staying.
- Old town (most left area in the map below): This is one of the most popular areas of the city since it meets history and modern life. While it gathers Gothic and Baroque architectonic jewels such as Quart and Serrano Towers, the Plaza de la Virgen and the Cathedral quarter, the Silk Exchange or the Central Market, if offers also much of Valencia’s night life.
- City of Arts and Sciences (bottom area in the map): This area gathers the most impressive examples of modern architecture designed by Valencian architect Santiago Calatrava. These include the Opera house and performing arts center, the Imax cinema, the Science museum and the Open-air aquarium park. All of them placed at the dry river bed of the now diverted River Turia, a relaxing place to walk and do sports.
- Malvarrosa beach (right area in the map below): In this area you will find an excellent urban beach with a length of 1 kilometre and an average width of 135 metres. It is a wide and open beach with fine sand, bordered by the promenade where you can enjoy a walk, roller-skating, jogging, sun bathing or stop off at one of the restaurants for a delicious paella or a fresh fish stew.
Points of Interest
Just a few meters away the conference you can find the beach of La Malvarrosa. We suggest you taste a delicious paella in one of the seafront restaurants, or have a drink in one of the bars. The climate in June is around 25 degrees, perfect to get a suntan and swimming in the Mediterranean. On 23st June (summer solstice) Valencia celebrates San Juan’s night. People go to the beach to light a bonfire and dance to the irresistible music. A firework is let off at 12:00 (midnight). In this moment people get to the beach and they have a quick dip or jump on the waves making a wish, which can be fulfilled only in summer. This magical and charming celebration offers a warm welcome to the summer, opening the door to a new future. At the San Juan celebrations you can live great stories, fantastic legends while the mind and thoughts blow away.
The ancient winding streets of the Barrio del Carmen contain buildings dating to Roman and Arabic times. The Cathedral, built between the 13th and 15th centuries, is primarily of Gothic style but contains elements of Baroque and Romanesque architecture. Beside the Cathedral is the Gothic Basilica of the Virgin (Basílica De La Virgen De Los Desamparados). The 15th century Serrano and Quart towers are part of what was once the wall surrounding the city.
Here you will find a map of the old town.
City of Arts and Sciences
The City of Arts and Sciences is a cultural entertainment centre with stunning architecture and great capacity to entertain, teach and excite by promoting public participation.
Situated along almost two kilometres of what was formerly the bed of the River Turia, with a surface area of 350,000 square metres, the City of Arts and Sciences is a huge open space. Offering cultural and intellectual leisure, it has given Valencia the best centre of this type in Europe.
The City of Arts and Sciences complex includes four buildings: L’Hemisferic is a Laserium, Planetarium and IMAX cinema, the Science Museum is one of those museums where it is forbidden not to touch, L’ Oceanographic is a giant marine park or aquarium and the Palau de les Arts is an Opera House. An architectural collection of exceptional beauty, harmonising the outer structure with the content.
For information about tourism in Valencia, please consult Turisvalencia (http://www.turisvalencia.es/), created and published by the Valencia Tourism Foundation (http://www.turisvalencia.es/en/valencia-tourism-convention-bureau).